top of page


Updated: Dec 18, 2020

By Mike S. Ewing, December 2020

Introduction In Batchelor, Louisiana in 1931, in the midst of The Great Depression, Rufus Sidney Ewing, Sr. became ill from cancer and could no longer work at his trade as a carpenter and house mover. He died in January of 1932, a few weeks before his 50th birthday, leaving behind his wife Eula Vick Ewing and their 7 children. The oldest of the children, twin boys, were 13. The youngest and the only girl was just 2 years old. At a time when the country's unemployment was the highest in history and few women worked outside the home, Eula was fortunate to have a job as post mistress of the Batchelor Post Office. Later, she was able to open a small store adjacent to the post office giving them another source of income. The children all learned to work early in life, helping their mother in the store and post office. Pulling together they survived as a family.

Rufus Sidney Ewing, Sr. 1920's

In the late 1930's and early 1940's war was spreading across the world. As the United States began making preparations to enter the fight, the call went out for young men to serve in the war effort. All across the country young men answered the call and Pointe Coupee Parish certainly contributed its share. This is the story of the six Ewing brothers of Batchelor that all came to serve in the military during World War II.


Wilson Robert Ewing,Sr. US Army 1940-45


The oldest and first to answer the call to war, Wilson as an infantryman in the 2nd Armored "Hell on Wheels" Division (led by General George Patton), saw extensive and widespread action. He participated in campaigns in Algeria, French Morocco, Sicily, Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland and Central Europe.

In November of 1942 during a beach landing in Morocco in Northern Africa, the assault boat he was in capsized in deep water drowning several soldiers. Wilson and some others were able to swim to shore but lost most of their weapons. On the beach, the men were pinned down by enemy machine gun fire. Armed with only a few hand grenades, Wilson and two others were able to take out the machine gun nest, saving the lives of their men and earning Wilson the Silver Star. Below is a clipping from a British newspaper describing the event. Some readers might be confused to see the newspaper article states that the enemy machine gun was manned by French troops. Although the nation of France was our ally, some "Vichy" French sided with the Germans, especially in the French colony of Morocco.

After campaigns in Morocco and Sicily, Wilson's unit returned to England to prepare for "Operation Overlord", the D-Day Offensive. Landing on the beach at Normandy on June 9,1944, the third day of the offensive, they fought their way through central Europe all he way into Germany. However, before they could continue their advance they were hurried back back to Belgium in December of 1944 to reinforce troops after a German counter offensive penetrated the allied lines in the Ardennes Forest. After fierce fighting and heavy losses in this "Battle of the Bulge", the allies pushed the enemy back into Germany. Wilson and the 2nd Armored Division then continued pursuing the enemy deep into Germany becoming the first American unit to enter the German city of Berlin.

William Ewing (Aug.8,1918-Jan 11, 2015 ) US Army 1942-45

Wilson's slightly younger twin brother William entered the Army in 1942. As an infantryman in the Phillipines, William endured the harsh jungle environment and savage fighting by the Japanese. He survived two close calls during the war. Once an artillery shell exploded so close to the assault boat he was in that it lifted the bow of the boat out of the water. Another time a rifle bullet creased his helmet. William was deeply affected by the war and never spoke much about it.

Rufus Sidney Ewing,Jr. (Jan.31,1921-April 26, 1996) US Army 1942-1945

Sidney Ewing joined the Army in August of 1942. When he learned there would be extra "jump pay" for paratroopers in the new 101st Airborne "Screaming Eagles" Division being formed at Camp Beauregard, Louisiana, he volunteered. He was sent to Fort Benning, Georgia for training then to England for additional parachute training. The first action he saw was in the Normandy invasion on D-Day, June 6, 1944, landing by Higgins Boat at Utah Beach. After fighting through Normandy, France and Belgium, Sidney and the 101st were sent back to England to prepare for the largest airborne assault in history.

In September of 1944, British and American airborne troops were dropped by parachutes and gliders (Sidney went in by glider) into the German held Netherlands to secure roads and bridges into Germany. While the American 101st achieved their objectives, the British fell short and the Netherlands campaign was aborted (subject of the classic movie "A Bridge too Far").

After the Netherlands campaign, Sidney and the 101st were scheduled to go back to England for rest and refitting with winter gear before their next deployment. Instead, in December of 1944, during the coldest winter in decades, troops of the 101st were hastily sent without winter gear to the Ardennes Forest of Belgium as reinforcements for the Battle of the Bulge. It was here that Sidney and many of his unit were surrounded and captured by the Germans. On December 23, 1944, Sidney and his fellow prisoners were crowded into train cars for transport to a POW camp. On the way, American planes bombed the German train transporting the POW’s and Sidney had to lie in a snow filled ditch to avoid the burning fuel. The prisoners were taken on to Muhlberg, Germany and placed in prison camp Stalag IV-B where they would endure the hardships of prison for nearly six months. Freedom came in May of 1945 when the prison camp was liberated by the Russian Army "led by a general on a big white horse".

Some of the 7,500 US troops taken to Stalag IV-B after their capture at the Battle of the Bulge.

For his military service Sidney was awarded four bronze service stars.

Earl Lee Ewing Mar.4,1922-Dec.23,1983) US Navy 1942-1945

Earl Ewing served in the US Navy as a Motor Machinist. He trained at the US Navy Training Yard in San Diego, California and the Floating Dry Docks Training Center in Triton, California. Next he was sent to the Camp Bradford Amphibious Training Base in Norfolk, Virginia for additional training. He was then assigned to the USS Numitor repair ship performing maintenance and repairs on amphibious landing craft. Departing from Norfolk, Virginia aboard the Numitor on May 12, 1945, Earl sailed through the Panama Canal into the Pacific Ocean to Pearl Harbor, the Marshall Islands, Caroline Islands and arrived at Okinawa Island in early August,1945. It was near here that Earl witnessed a mushroom cloud from one of the atomic bombs dropped on Japan that ended the war.

Joseph James Ewing,Sr. (Feb.9,1925-Oct.11,2009) US Marine Corps 1943-1946

James Ewing spent his military career during the war as an Aviation Machinist Mate in the US Marine Corps at Norman Naval Air Station in Norman, Oklahoma. He contributed to the war effort by performing maintenance and repairs on airplanes.

Jennings Theophilus Ewing (Nov.15,1926-Jan.15,1993) US Navy 1944-1947

They youngest of the brothers, known as "J.T.", served in the US Navy as a MAM3 or Mailman 3rd Class Petty Officer (equivalent to a buck sergeant in the Army) in San Diego, California. Prior to modern electronic communication technology, mail service was vital to the armed services. Congress authorized US Post Offices aboard Navy vessels during war time and the Navy utilized the "mailman" rating from 1944-1948. The Navy mailman had many of the same duties as a civilian counterpoint and J.T.'s experience assisting his mother in the Batchelor post office served him well in his duties in the Navy.

II. LIFE ON THE HOME FRONT Everyone back home made sacrifices for the war effort. The war caused shortages of gasoline, metal and rubber but what affected people most was shortages of some food items like meat, sugar, cooking oil and canned goods. To more fairly distribute these items the government issued ration stamps to each American household. A person could not buy any rationed items without the proper stamps and when ration stamps were used up for the month they couldn't buy any more of those item